Into the Brew Pot

A brewing journal and some recipes. Most of these recipes use extract with steeped grains, but a couple are mini-mash recipes that mash a few pounds of grains. Unless stated otherwise, I boil bittering hops for an hour, flavoring hops for 15 minutes, and aroma hops for a minute or less. I use whole-flower hops, unless otherwise stated. I always use either 1 oz. of Irish moss, or a Whirfloc tablet as a clarifying agent, added during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

October 31, 2006

Old Guy Rye Ale

I liked the rye stout so much, I thought I would try a rye ale. I made this recipe up for the 2006 Harvest Moon Octoberfest cabin party. It was pretty well balanced (better than the preceding year's amber ale) with a slight spicy after taste. I used flaked wheat and didn't use any clarifiers, so this was a very cloudy beer. But it tasted great. This was the first time I used the Safale US-56 dry yeast. It took right off in the primary and finished well. This keg lasted 32.5 hours.

Grain bill (steep for 60 min at 155°F)

1 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Vienna
8 oz CaraFoam
8 oz Rye Malt
4 oz Flaked Wheat

Extract/fermentables

8 lb Ultralight LME (only boiled for the last 15 minutes)

Hop schedule


Bittering 1 oz Magnum pellets 14.4% - 1 hr.
Flavoring 1.5 oz Willamette whole - 4.4% - 20min.
Aroma 1 oz Cascade whole - 4.4% - 1 min.


Yeast

Safale US-56 Dry Yeast

O.G. = 1.068
F.G. = 1.019
abv = 6.49%

Labels: