Into the Brew Pot

A brewing journal and some recipes. Most of these recipes use extract with steeped grains, but a couple are mini-mash recipes that mash a few pounds of grains. Unless stated otherwise, I boil bittering hops for an hour, flavoring hops for 15 minutes, and aroma hops for a minute or less. I use whole-flower hops, unless otherwise stated. I always use either 1 oz. of Irish moss, or a Whirfloc tablet as a clarifying agent, added during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

March 31, 2006

Hop Back Pale Ale

This simple extract recipe is my clone brew of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. My wife loves it; I barely get to drink any of the 5 gallons.

Grain bill (steeped 30 min. at 150 F)
8 oz Domestic Carapils Dextrin Malt
1 lb Crystal malt (40° L)

Extract
7 lbs. Pale LME

Hops

Bittering 1 oz Nugget (12.7% AAU)
Flavoring 0.5 oz Perle (7.7% AAU)
Aroma 1 oz Cascade (6.6% AAU)
Dry 1 oz Cascade in secondary fermenter

Yeast
White Labs American Ale (WLP001)

O.G. = 1.070

F.G. = 1.018

Labels: