Into the Brew Pot

A brewing journal and some recipes. Most of these recipes use extract with steeped grains, but a couple are mini-mash recipes that mash a few pounds of grains. Unless stated otherwise, I boil bittering hops for an hour, flavoring hops for 15 minutes, and aroma hops for a minute or less. I use whole-flower hops, unless otherwise stated. I always use either 1 oz. of Irish moss, or a Whirfloc tablet as a clarifying agent, added during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

March 31, 2006

North of the Border Nut Brown Ale

I read about nut brown ales and how they get darker and maltier the farther north you go in England. I found the darkest, maltiest recipe I could, then pushed it to 11. It's really closer to a London Porter, but dang I liked it.

Grain bill (steeped for 30 min at 155 F)
3 oz Roast malted barley (300° L)
4 oz Carapils Dextrin Malt
4 oz Belgian aromatic
4 oz Chocolate
1 lb Crystal (120° L)

Extract/Fermentables
7 lb Light LME
1 c. blackstrap molasses

Hop bill


Bittering 1.5 oz Perle (7.6% AAU)
0.5 oz Cascade (6.6% AAU)
Flavoring 1 oz Fuggles (4% AAU)
Aroma 1/2 oz Fuggles (4% AAU)
Yeast
White Labs Dry English Ale (WLP007)

Labels: