Into the Brew Pot

A brewing journal and some recipes. Most of these recipes use extract with steeped grains, but a couple are mini-mash recipes that mash a few pounds of grains. Unless stated otherwise, I boil bittering hops for an hour, flavoring hops for 15 minutes, and aroma hops for a minute or less. I use whole-flower hops, unless otherwise stated. I always use either 1 oz. of Irish moss, or a Whirfloc tablet as a clarifying agent, added during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

March 12, 2009

Cushlomachree Stout

I made this stout for Nick and Stephanie's wedding reception. I tasted it a week after I put it in the keg and it was over attenuated. Desperate, I added a half-pound of pale LME (mixed with water and heated to 180 degrees for 15 minutes to sterilize) directly to the keg. That brought the balance back to the malty side. The keg was gone in 1 hour after hooking it up at the party.

Grain bill
(steep for 45 min at 155°F)
8 oz Carastan
4 oz Special B
4 oz Chocolate malt
5 oz Black Roasted
7 oz Flaked Wheat

Extract/fermentables
7.5 lb Pale LME

Hop schedule
Bittering 0.5 oz Galena Pellets (12.4% AA)

2.0 oz N. Brewer Whole (7.5% AA)


Adjuncts
0.5 oz Licorice Root

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham Yeast - 1 pkg

Labels: